Yep, it’s that time again: year-end lists galore! Our inboxes are full of them, but you know what? They’re helpful and we secretly love them. Below we’ve compiled the best diversity & inclusion related reads from 2017. These are the blogs, articles, resources and research that made us think and inspired us to build an even better hiring platform.
But we also want to know what you found most enlightening, helpful and challenging in 2017. So we have a favor to ask:
COMPLETE OUR 2 MINUTE SURVEY
We want to hear about your year. We’ll publish your reflections and recommendations in the next newsletter.
Without further ado, our favorite content of 2017:
Top 5 – Talent Sonar Blogs (shameless plug!)
- The Job Description Template You’ve Been Looking For. If you haven’t bookmarked it yet, do it now! Never start another job description from scratch. Incorporate all of Talent Sonar’s built-in best practices for attracting a talent pool that’s more qualified and, on average, 30% more diverse.
- Find the Right Fit – How To Use Technology to Optimize Hiring Results. You asked and we brought in the experts to answer: When it comes to state of the art recruitment and sourcing, is it quantity or quality of candidates that matters most? In this webinar recording, talent acquisition legend Elaine Orler takes us through tech solutions to optimize for candidate selection.
- Values Unite Us More Than They Divide Us. 2017 was a year that truly tested how corporations conceive of their “values” and the role values play in the personnel we select, retain, promote—or let go. At Talent Sonar we’ll continue to ensure that the best kind of hiring is the kind that puts values front and center, and follows them as a guide in ever team member decision.
- Don’t Call It a Skills Shortage: How to Move Past the “Pipeline Problem” and Reach Your Diversity Goals. You heard it first here, and you’ll continue to hear it from us: the so-called skills shortage is over-rated. You can move past it by recruiting and hiring better.
- How to Immunize Your Workplace From Sexual Harassment. And lastly—the topic that is sure to accompany us into 2018 is sexual harassment and how gendered power dynamics play out in the workplace. Good news: there’s a solution.
Top 5 – Most Inspiring:
- If GoDaddy Can Turn the Corner on Sexism, Who Can’t?
- How Airbnb is Working to Eliminate Bias From Its Interview Process
- Atlassian Boosted Its Female Technical Hires By 80% — Here’s How
- Social Capital Will Let Data Decide Where It Invests.
- Microsoft Moves to End Secrecy in Sexual Harassment Claims
Top 5 – Most Useful:
- Seven Steps to Reduce Bias in Hiring
- Project Include’s Diversity & Inclusion Recommendations
- How Gender Bias Corrupts Performance Reviews, and What to Do About It
- TONL: Culturally Diverse Stock Photos
- Growth Mindset at Work: How Beliefs About the Nature of Talents and Abilities Shape Organizational Success
Top 5 – Most Concerning:
- Reflecting On One Very, Very Strange Year At Uber.
- How Tough Is It to Change a Culture of Harassment? Ask Women at Ford
- Here’s Why Women, Blacks and Hispanics are Leaving Tech
- Facebook’s Hiring Process Hinders Its Effort to Create a Diverse Workforce
- The Brutal Ageism of Tech
Top 5 – Most Thought-Provoking:
- How Subtle Class Cues Can Backfire on Your Resume
- The Utter Uselessness of Job Interviews
- AI Programs Exhibit Racial and Gender Biases, Research Reveals
- Diversity and Inclusion: The “Business Case” Postmortem
- For Years, This Popular Test Measured Anyone’s Racial Bias. But It Might Not Work After All.
Here’s to companies living out their values, more inclusion in the workplace, exceeding diversity goals and better hiring from the untapped talent pool in 2018.
-Talent Sonar Team